Tuesday, November 16, 2004

What's in a Name?

As part of my work, I usually get to call some agencies to ask for inputs on certain issues regarding my sector. Whenever I introduce myself, often times it is mistaken for some other name. I really don’t know if it is my speech defect, or the listener doesn’t really listen well… Maybe it is also because of my semi-unique name. Agencies, in their fax transmittals and replies, give me the names Marvin, Sherwin, Jerwin, Shervin, Jerbin, Merwin, Shelwin, and worst, Kerby.

For the record, I will tell the history of my name, as told by my mother in one of our bonding sessions. My name, Jervin, was my mother’s invention. It was taken from names Jerry and Marvin, both of which my mother likes to name her child. However, my mom’s apprehension to name me such (Jerry Marvin) is due the fact that my surname is Reyes. She fears that there may be a thousand other “Jerry Marvin Reyeses” across the republic, thus, she thought of other “unique” names. She unearthed a bright idea by combining the two names, creating a hybrid name of “Jervin.”

Then, another problem arose. Some churches at that time believe that a child should be named after a blessed person or saint so he/she can be guided by a “guardian saint” that shall pray for him/her. So, my mother decided to put a second name John, after Jesus’ beloved apostle. That was how my named was created. Not that exciting, though…

Eventually, as I grew up, my name has evolved into several other nicknames, monikers, nomenclatures, and the like. Let me name a few:

Jerv – this was the nickname given by my mother. My closer friends call me by this nickname…

Jervs – this nickname was born in college. My orgmates in JMA called me such… And now, my officemates call me by this nick name. I don’t like this nickname much because it somehow reminds us of the street name for what others call “Unidentified Floating Objects.”

Bino – given by my Tita Egie sometime in my early teens. She names all her nephews and nieces old-fashioned names. According to her, it is necessary to have old names so that when you grow older, the younger ones will not have difficulty of looking for a name that will suit your age.

Bin – This is what my Lolo calls me. Nothing much… He just wants a shorter name.

Jervino – my close buddy Kit baptized me with that name. So as not to be bored with the same ol’ normal names…

RR – my grade school and high school classmates tease me this name before because according to them, I look like that 90’s child star…

Tirso – it was a nick often called by one of my stupid junky neighbors. I don’t really know his real name. We usually call him Pogi. And he liked it a lot.

Jervinihildo – given by my officemate Pam. If you happen to know her, ask her why she calls me such. I have no idea, either…

Jerbentot – given by my officemate Bryan. Perhaps it’s because I make them laugh their hearts out so they are reminded of the box-office comedian Bentot… Bentot who?!

Jervinio (J pronounced as H) – given by my office buddy and shuttlemate Mark. He just likes to play with my name…

Herbo – given by my officemate Pablo… He says it’s a more macho way of pronouncing my name. I don’t know the other reason behind it… I must have forgotten it already. My office buddies Mark, Do and Pabs call me this nick…

Hobo – an evolution of Herbo… Also by Pabs.

Jurb – This is what I call myself. I also use this nick in my blog…

Baby – term of endearment by my one and only…

You might want to add some more to my list… Go ahead. Though I may have many other nicks, I’m still me. Jervin… Not Sherwin, Melvin, Marvin, Shervin, or Kerby…

Booyah!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Trivia trivia ulit:

Did you know: The Reggae-Pop sensation Shaggy was a Vietnam War veteran!

No comments :