Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Following Robert Langdon's Lost Symbol

Dan Brown's latest novel, The Lost Symbol, is another treat for readers who are up for another Robert Langdon action-packed mystery thriller. This is Brown's third installment to the Langdon series, following major hits Angels and Demons, and my favorite The Da Vinci Code. Both have already been turned into movies starring Tom Hanks.

Angels and Demons highlighted the beautiful Italy and Vatican City, while The Da Vinci Code focused on the beautiful sights of Paris. This time, Brown set another thriller in the Nation's Capital, Washington D.C. Thanks to my buddy, Do who urged me to read the novel because I live in DC, I am able to further appreciate this lovely city. Now, I can go to the real places where Dan Brown imagined it to have happened.

So far, I have been to some of the places. :) As I read on, I'll try to get to all the places where Langdon went. :)

Here are some of the places, sights and fixtures mentioned in the book:

The United States Capitol. I haven't seen the Rotunda though. Soon, I hope. :) (Canon Powershot A590)

George Washington as Zeus. Mentioned in Chapter 21. Can be seen at the Smithsonian Institution American History Museum (Kodak Easyshare M341)

The Library of Congress. Langdon and Capitol Architect Warren Bellamy ran to this building via an underground passageway from the US Capitol. Chapter 43. (Kodak Easyshare M341)


A specimen of an orchid located in the Jungle of the US Botanic Garden. Warren Bellamy was captured and taken to this place, just a few feet from the Capitol. (Canon Powershot A590)

The Washington National Cathedral. "A refuge containing ten stones from Mount Sinai, one from heaven itself, and one with the visage of Luke's dark father." Dean Galloway's clue for Langdon and Katherine Solomon as their meeting place for safety and sanctuary. Haven't seen Darth Vader's gargoyle because according to the Cathedral website, it is located way up the northwest tower. Chapter 79. (Canon Powershot A590)

George Washington Masonic Memorial, King Street, Alexandria, VA. Agent Simkins was tipped by the cab driver that Langdon and Solomon were to go here to look for clues in the Masonic Memorial. Chapter 78 (Blackberry Bold 9780)

I have yet to finish the book and go to the other places that were described. There are indeed a lot of things to see in DC, and the book helped me a lot in appreciating these places more.

Now, back to my reading...

No comments :